Saturday, April 25, 2009

Scheveningen, The Netherlands



I did make it out of Amsterdam for at least one night and travelled the short journey by train to Den Haag (The Hague), then hopped on a tram to Scheveningen which is a small coastal town which somehow reminded me of Scarborough! We stayed at the town's only hostel, Jorplace (Yourplace), which is easily one of the best hostels I've stayed at in a long while. The onsite bar, chilled out atmosphere (they have a hammock, conservatory and camper van in the garden!) and the down to earth staff made our stay very enjoyable. Thanks to Jordy and Sarah.



After a day spent checking out the town, strolling along the beach and feasting in the beachside restaurants and bars we were treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in a long time. The sun, the surf, the sand and the sound of seagulls - I'd never have thought I was in Holland and felt a million miles away from the city streets of Amsterdam. Sometimes you've just got to make the effort to travel out of the city and take in something a little different. Scheveningen is one of those places.



No comments:

Post a Comment