Friday, February 05, 2010

A great adventure awaits...



The idea of going travelling around the world for a second time has been on my mind ever since returning home on a cold, drizzly spring morning in Scotland almost three years ago. That trip was a year of outstanding sights, new cultures, friends and a whole lot of partying. This time around is a whole different kettle of fish.

There is so much more at stake for starters. Before, I packed in a full time job and set out for a year of freedom and adventure with hardly a care in the world (an experience I would recommend to anyone who has the opportunity). Perhaps it’s a few more years on my shoulders, the benefit of experience as to the magnitude of what lies ahead, or the idea of tearing out my roots all over again to brave the unknown. Friends, family, colleagues and the every day have really caught up with me these last few years. 'Escaping' from all of this seems so much more difficult this time around.

I don't mean to sound morose, I'm very excited about this new adventure of course, but I have a strong feeling that I must really make the most of everything I encounter. To return empty handed would be a disaster as I'm well aware that few people have such an opportunity and I may never have one like this again.

So what is this adventure you ask? Well, if you have a moment I'll tell you all about it...

At the beginning of April I depart London for Tokyo along with my good friend Kristofer (better known as Shad) where we'll spend two weeks travelling through much of the country by train. Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Nagasaki and anywhere else we can manage in such a tight schedule.

After Japan we head to China, the greatest 'unknown' I've yet to encounter which I'm sure will be scary and exciting at the same time. Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Chongqing and Guilin are just a few of the proposed stops. Hong Kong is next which I'm really looking forward to, by which point the temperature and humidity should be hotting up.

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Malaysian Borneo, Australia and New Zealand will all be visited by the end of 2010 (all going to plan). It's an epic journey which I still don't think I've quite got my head around.

As I travel I will of course be taking photographs, exploring the various cultures, speaking to the locals, trying out new food and drink (good and bad I'm sure) and hopefully having a dam good time of it. The whole trip will be documented on this blog so please sign up via the link on the right and check back regularly. I hope that you can feel in some way a part of the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment